This is a wonderful opportunity to join a great team, managing our brand-new Visitor Centre at RSPB South Stack.
Visitor Operations Manager
Location: South Stack
Salary: £25,280.00 – £28,045.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days annual leave, flexible working
We are looking for someone to lead the development, integration and delivery of all the visitor facing elements on the reserve with the aim of creating an exemplar visitor experience that maximises support for nature.
What’s the role about
South Stack is one of Wales most iconic landscapes, with towering cliffs and sea views. The reserve includes Holyhead Mountain and The Range and attracts over 250,000 visitors a year from near and far. It is an important site for breeding seabirds and chough. Beautiful lowland coastal heathland blankets the reserve with rare flowers. The site sits in an AONB, is designated as a SAC, SPA and SSSI. We are looking for an excellent Visitor Operations Manager to match this fantastic location!
The role is based in the South Stack visitor centre, newly refurbished and opened in April 2021 we welcome around 120,000 visitors a year. It comprises of a welcome area to inform our visitors about the reserve, membership recruitment, shop, café and public toilets. We are looking for someone who can bring this spectacular place closer to the hearts of those who live locally, work on the site and visit the reserve.
This role involves leading our catering, retail, visitor experience, membership and volunteer teams along with engaging with our visitors and the local communities.
You will support the Catering Manager in developing the café and growing the income at one of the highest turnover cafes in the RSPB. You will support our Retail manager in increasing our income from our shop.
You will show initiative in developing the visitor experience through events, guiding and informing visitors and local people alike, whilst reinforcing the RSPB’s brand and values. You’ll need a proven track-record of working with and promoting the natural and/or cultural heritage of special places. You’ll be familiar with the value (and pitfalls!) of the professional media, and social media. You’ll need to be an exceptional communicator and an inspiring manager of an enthusiastic and knowledgeable team.
You’ll know exactly how to get the very best out of everyone and how best to support and motivate the team. There are set targets for income and you will be responsible for ensuring that your teams meet these and the associated KPIs.
As a member of the Site Management Team you will have a direct say in the running of the reserve and will help to set the culture and drive standards across the whole reserve visitor operation.
The role requires weekend and bank holiday working.
Key activities will include:
- Ensuring the reserve is delivering the highest standard of customer care resulting in an exemplar visit.
- Set and achieve agreed targets and KPI’s for income generation, quality of visit and footfall targets for the reserve.
- Responsible for the delivery of the brand and converting visits into support to contribute to the RSPB’s Saving Nature Strategy.
- To proactively promote the pre, during and post visitor offer to target audiences to increase footfall and repeat visits.
- Organise activities and supporting documentation to ensure relevant RSPB legal compliance requirements are met.
- To recruit, lead and develop a team of volunteers and staff to deliver a joined up, coherent and high-quality visitor offer for all visitors to the reserve.
- To be responsible for the leadership, planning and efficient day to day running of the visitor centre operation that contributes to the overall success of the reserve.
As Visitor Operations Manager at South Stack we need you to have the following
- You will have experience of managing a commercial public facing operation.
- You will have experience of delivering and exemplar visitor or customer service experience.
- You will have experience of managing a diverse team.
- You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You will have a proven ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- You will be a natural leader who can motivate and inspire people at all levels.
- You will have problem solving skills and the ability to work on your own initiative.
- You will have the ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback.
- The ability to speak Welsh
Expiry date: 23:59, 13 June 2021
No agencies please.