The IES is a charitable organisation which promotes and raises public awareness of environmental science. We activate our global network of leading education institutions, researchers, professionals, and policy makers to stand up for science, scientist and for the natural world. You can learn more about us by exploring our website.
This is an exciting time to join this small and rapidly growing charity.
Main Purpose of the Post
We are looking for a dynamic and multi-talented professional with experience in the environment sector and/or in developing training to manage and grow the IES’s training portfolio and oversee our systems for awarding Chartered Environmentalist, Chartered Scientist, Registered Environmental Practitioner and Registered Environmental Technician. You will be a bright and confident individual, with a passion for training and professional standards, with strong verbal and written communication skills.
Relishing a varied workday and the chance to engage with a wide range of environmental topics, you will need to be highly-organised, motivated and able to fit into the collaborative culture of the office.
- Undertake appropriate market research – such as focus groups, surveys and one-to-one conversations with members – to identify areas where IES could develop new training
- Design and expand training packages for members, either delivered in-house or outsourced where appropriate
- Oversee the delivery of in-house training
- Develop innovative ways to deliver training to ensure the best experience for the learner
- Plan and assess the return on investment of any training programme and keep delivery within budgets
- Work with the Education & Professional Development Officer to explore accreditation of external training.
- Provide support to members applying for our Professional Registers and to the assessors, including pre-application advice and post-application review and feedback
- Use feedback from assessments and reviews of applications to continuously improve our guidance for applicants and assessors
- Manage data returns to Registration Authorities and check adherence with external regulations to ensure we pass external audits.
- Use insights and analytics data to advise on marketing and promotion
- Deliver regular training and support to ensure that there are sufficient assessors who are judging applications to a high standard
- Provide quality assurance of our application and assessment processes, establishing appropriate internal audit mechanisms and procedures
This is a multi-skilled position and we recognise that no candidate is likely to have all the desirable skills.
Essential (all IES roles)
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent professional practice)
- Demonstrable ability to quickly pick up new tasks and communicate complex or technical concepts effectively
- Flexible approach with the ability to use own initiative and rapidly respond to varying stakeholder needs
- Comfortable working within a small team as well as autonomously
- Recognition of the importance of diversity and inclusion
- Interest in the environment, sustainability and/or science
- 3 years experience in either an environmental role or in developing training
- Track record of delivery of successful project delivery
- Strong copywriting skills with a keen eye for detail
- Clear and confident verbal communicator
- Proven ability to initiate and build relationships with stakeholders
- Proactive problem solving, risk management and troubleshooting
- Excellent time management with ability to juggle competing projects and meet tight deadlines
- Understanding of the budgetary process
- Strong negotiation skills
- Appreciation of the need for professional standards and ethics
Desirable (all IES roles)
- Experience in the environmental or NGO/charity sector
- Masters degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of CRM systems and databases
- Experience of developing training
- Strong understanding of the environmental sector and the training needs of professionals within the sector
- Holds one of CEnv, CSci or REnvP, or possess the skills and experience to achieve one of these
- Experience of delivering training and/or workshop facilitation
- Evidence of successful income generation and/or budgeting in previous role
- Strong working knowledge of training platforms
- Experience contributing to organisational strategic development and senior management duties
- Line management experience
- Existing network of training providers
About the Role
The position is full time. Interviews will take place remotely via Zoom on the 1st June 2021, with a view to the successful candidate starting as soon as possible.
Why work for us?
At the IES, we know that the secret of a successful professional body is the quality of the people behind the membership services.
Our small, inclusive team work collaboratively with one another, as well as our fantastic trustees, members and partner organisations, to fulfill our mission of advocating for science and the environment.
With a good list of employee benefits and a social calendar connected to the office, we are sure you will enjoy the culture of working at the IES. We care about nurturing your career development with individualised professional development plans and a separate budget that you can spend on your learning.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
The Institution is committed to both the elimination of discrimination and widening of participation in the environmental science sector. Our workforce is small but diverse and we pride ourselves on maintaining inclusive opportunities and promoting equitable access to our roles. We welcome applications from individuals from all identities and backgrounds.