Job purpose and background
Are you passionate about environmental issues, improving water security as well as tackling climate change and deforestation? Would you like to be at the heart of driving changes through environmental disclosure?
CDP’s Questionnaire & Guidance team is looking for a Senior Technical Officer to work on its corporate water security questionnaire, guidance and related technical documents, and also to support the wider Disclosure Content team to ensure that all other outputs are delivered accurately and efficiently into our online disclosure platform.
The role requires the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, to analyze complex data, and to think critically and innovatively. You will apply your strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills to contribute to a variety of tasks related to the annual updating and delivery of CDP’s corporate disclosure framework and to support queries from companies and colleagues about the CDP questionnaires. This is an excellent opportunity to enhance your water security and environmental reporting knowledge across a range of topics and industrial sectors.
About the Questionnaire & Guidance Team, Disclosure Content Department
CDP’s Disclosure Content department is responsible for evolving CDP’s approach to the reporting and scoring of corporate environmental performance data, currently for climate change, forests and water security. The Questionnaire & Guidance team is responsible for producing CDP’s questionnaires and reporting guidance materials and ensuring that they meet CDP’s strategic objectives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Technical Manager in day-to-day tasks related to the delivery of the questionnaire and guidance for companies.
- Supporting the planning, implementation, and optimising of the team’s processes and procedures related to the input of content into CDP’s online systems – across CDP’s three current themes of Water Security, Climate change, and Forests.
- Reviewing, developing, and documenting team processes involving wider CDP teams.
- Support changes and improvements to technology by liaising with internal IT delivery teams.
- Coordinating tasks of the Questionnaire & Guidance team Technical Officers.
- Assisting the other Disclosure Content teams with a variety of analytical, research and system tasks as required.
- Supporting the Technical Manager in working with the Environmental Practices team to ensure the CDP water security questionnaires and guidance reflect the objectives of the water security strategy.
- Responding to internal technical queries on the water security questionnaire and guidance.
- Analysing response data and conducting research to inform the questionnaire revisions and developments.
- Drafting and proofreading content for technical documents.
- Preparing presentations and presenting information to colleagues and companies.
Required skills and experience
- A relevant academic qualification and at least 2 years of professional experience, preferably in a water management or corporate sustainability-related role.
- A demonstrable understanding of the global sustainability agenda and of water-related risks, opportunities, and impacts for companies.
- The ability to organize and interpret qualitative and quantitative data, and present results concisely.
- Some experience in improving operational processes or supervising junior staff.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent standard of written English.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to work accurately under pressure, while still paying attention to detail.
Desirable skills (one or more of the following would be an advantage):
- Master’s level degree in water resources management or environmental science, or with an emphasis on corporate environmental performance.
- Professional industry/commercial experience in a role with an emphasis on water management or supply chains.
- Familiarity with project management concepts.
- Advanced-level Excel data analysis skills.
- Hands on experience of IT systems (e.g., CMS or survey-design packages).
- Experience of designing conditional reasoning and logical equivalence statements.
- knowledge of corporate water balance accounting (including sector specific frameworks and standards).
- Familiarity with the CDP water security questionnaire.
- Experience or knowledge of environmental reporting frameworks.
This is a full-time role based at CDP’s central London office, reporting to the Technical Manager, Water Security in the Questionnaire & Guidance team.
The successful candidate will be provided with a contract for a fixed term of 12 months, with possibility for extension.
Salary and benefits: £27-30k per annum, 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, generous non-contributory pension provision, annual discretionary bonus (depending on company performance), Employee Assistance Programme, life assurance, training and development, flexible working opportunities and other benefits.
Before you apply
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK.
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please email your CV, and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience which should be no more than two pages, to [email protected] with “Senior Technical Officer, Water Security Questionnaire” in the subject. The applications received by 9am (BST) on Mon 24th May 2021 will be considered. Please note that while all applications will be reviewed, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.