Senior Research Portfolio Manager
Full Time/ Part Time (0.8FTE minimum considered)
A Senior Portfolio Manager based in ESRC’s Environment team has arisen. We are looking to appoint a dynamic, driven individual to lead a portfolio and support the development of new ESRC investments, in particular relating to environment, climate change and net zero, sustainability, energy, the urban environment and transport. We are seeking an experienced Senior Manager with an understanding of the research and innovation sector, and an enthusiasm for the vital role played by the social sciences in addressing environmental challenges.
You will be a key member of the Environment team identifying opportunities to address the net zero agenda, commissioning research, and enhancing impact of ESRC’s environment research. You will have a particular focus on activities relevant ESRC’s broader portfolio and properties in environment research. Examples of ESRC investments managed by the team include:
- Centre for Climate Change and Social Transformations – a global hub for research on the social transformations required to produce a low-carbon and sustainable society.
- Place-Based Climate Action Network – a network translating climate policy into action ‘on the ground’ to bring about transformative change.
The key responsibilities will be to:
- Lead commissioning and management of environment related high quality research investments through collaborative partnerships across UKRI, other Government organisations/wider partners
- Support the scoping of new environment investments across UKRI
- Lead the ESRC’s input to commissioning and oversight of relevant activities led by other funders which ESRC has a stake in
- Coordination and management of a portfolio of environment related research activities to maximise impact and knowledge exchange across a portfolio of investments
- Build and foster strong relationships across and beyond UKRI, including across the academic and policy community, government and overseas stakeholders to ensure that investments are robust, informed and impactful
- Work with others to ensure investments are appropriately governed, monitored, evaluated and communicated
- Line management four members of the Environment Team (this relates to one of the two roles)
- Some level of travel (subject to COVID-19 restrictions and guidance), as well as sometimes when required, work outside of standard office hours.
- Degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience of and enthusiasm for the application of social science to the portfolio area
- Significant experience in research, research management, research commissioning or related roles within the research and innovation sector
- An ability to build and maintain relationships with range of stakeholders
- Analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- An ability to think and act strategically
- Knowledge of research and innovation sector including the role of UKRI
- Leadership and engagement skills
- Strong project management, planning and organisation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of the skills and challenges associated with managing and developing staff
- Financial/ budget management skills.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and provides a rewards and benefit package including a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
How to apply
To see more details and to apply please click the apply button. Applicants are required to provide a CV and Cover Letter providing evidence of how they meet each of the essential criteria.
The closing date is 3rd June 2021.