Do you love field work? Do have a good understanding and background in rivers, wetlands, peatbogs and other freshwater habitats?
Do you want to make your mark? Want to really grow and develop as a field scientist and, ultimately as a freshwater consultant? Do you want to work on really interesting projects in beautiful locations?
About the role
The Field Surveys team specialises in aquatic ecological and hydro morphological survey work throughout the UK with sampling and monitoring of lakes, ponds, canals, rivers, estuary, coastal and marine environments.
The purpose of the Senior Field Scientist role is to ensure that all field work is completed within the required timescales and within budget, as well as managing, training and mentoring field scientists.
Key Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Be able to talk knowledgeably about APEM’s general goals and objectives.
- To undertake field work as the lead field scientist.
- To manage, train and develop field scientists.
- Data analysis and reporting.
- To plan and organise field surveys.
- To market APEM’s field survey services.
- Client liaison.
- To identify follow up work with existing clients or potential new opportunities.
- To have a key role in bringing in new projects.
- To attend and present at conferences.
- To carry out any additional activities that may be reasonably required or requested.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Project management.
- Tender writing and review.
- Oversee compliance with APEM standard operational instructions.
- Staff appraisals and team management.
- Field identification skills for at least one of marine/terrestrial birds or mammals, plants (terrestrial or aquatic), invertebrates (terrestrial or aquatic) or marine/freshwater fish
- Preferably an Master’s Degree, minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree, in an environmental or ecological subject
- Clean, full driving licence
- Willing and able to time away from home (travel to and from sites with overnight stays COVID permitting)
- Ability to swim
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Field survey and sampling skills
- Flexible, adaptable and punctual
APEM was born out of the University of Manchester in the 1990s and is a vibrant, dynamic and rapidly growing company. Indeed, APEM is Europe’s leading independent environmental consultancy, specialising in terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecology, and aerial surveys. We offer our clients an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats, based on sound science. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in finding and providing solutions to our clients.
APEM is a highly reputable company, renowned for our quality and long list of trusted clients, who once secured, provide repeat business year after year, trusting us to deliver a high-quality service at a fair price.
We are proud to be an inclusive company, with people as one of the key pillars that our strategy is built upon. We stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 was a big year for APEM and the company continued to grow and expand, including through the opening of an office in Ireland, based in Cork. In 2021, we will continue our ambitions for growth and innovation.