Principal Consultant – Resource Sustainability and Embodied Carbon
Why is this role key to our business?
The BREEAM family of standards is globally applicable; offering sustainability assessment and certification across the built environment. They draw together much of BRE’s work and have a reputation in numerous sectors, across a range of lifecycles, for providing trusted verification and benchmarking of assets’ performance.
The holder will play a vital role in leading the technical development of resource sustainability and embodied carbon.
The ‘Principal Consultant – Resource Sustainability and Embodied Carbon’ is responsible for leading the development of resource sustainability related technical content that is scientifically led, helping to ensure an appropriate level of rigour and underpinning evidence. Working in close collaboration with colleagues within BREEAM and the wider BRE Group, and external stakeholders, they help balance commercial and technical considerations and seek alignment with other initiatives where advantageous. In addition, they are BREEAM’s ambassador for resource sustainability and utilise market intelligence to inform future technical development.
How will I add value in this role?
You will work closely with the Delivery Manager, other experts and wider BREEAM/BRE divisions to successfully:
- Lead the Resources technical team, with overall technical responsibility for energy, carbon, water, responsible sourcing and circularity to ensure that the BREEAM portfolio of standards are technically credible and delivering the relevant strategic objectives. This includes: Researching, developing and authoring new and/or revised technical content; Thought leadership (e.g. published articles, workshops, webinars); Senior technical services support (LCA/RSCS etc.) and technical query resolution; Stakeholder engagement and collaboration, to understand current industry thinking and build consensus; Represent BREEAM/BRE in key external groups, such as CEN and ISO committees, feeding back intelligence and cultivating extenal conditions for success.
- Providing expertise on embodied carbon to help develop new BRE products and services, addressing challenges around Net Zero Carbon and Whole Life Carbon
- Monitor and uphold health, safety and wellbeing both personally and for all team members and any external visitors accountable to this role.
- Ownership of personal professional development, ensuring that mandatory training and competency requirements are maintained in addition to other professional development needs as required by the role.
What do I need in order to deliver this role?
- Educated to a degree level in a degree providing an understanding of resource sustainability and embodied carbon in the built environment
- Experience and knowledge of the built environment
- Experience conducting Life Cycle Assessments of building products and knowledge of a range of LCA tools
- Experience in a senior role with demonstrable ability to work proactively and independently
- Excellent communication skills; an ability to understand and interpret customers’ needs and deliver a service and/or product which exceeds customers’ expectations.
- Can build effective relationships both internally and externally, be a brand ambassador for BRE.
- IT literate and extensive knowledge of MS office etc.
Great to also have:
- Knowledge of BREEAM and/or the BRE busines
This job description is a non-exhaustive summary of your role and is non-contractual. In addition to the above, you may be required to undertake additional duties in order to properly execute your role. This job description is subject to variation from time to time in order to meet the changing needs and requirements of our industry, as well as customer and business demands.
The experience requirements above are provided for guidance purposes, however we would welcome applications from candidates with more or less relevant experience who can demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.