Why is this role key to our business?
The BREEAM family of standards is globally applicable; offering sustainability assessment and certification across the built environment. They draw together much of BRE’s work and have a reputation in numerous sectors, across a range of lifecycles, for providing trusted verification and benchmarking of assets’ performance.
The ‘Principal: Technical Services’ is responsible for providing scientifically led and relevant technical input, as per their subject matter expertise, into the future development and operation of the BREEAM portfolio helping to ensure an appropriate level of rigour and underpinning evidence. They are also responsible for the completion of technical services in line with SLAs, delighting BREEAM’s customers and users, and ensuring assessments can continue through to completion unencumbered.
Working in close collaboration with colleagues within BREEAM and the wider BRE Group, and external stakeholders, they help balance commercial and technical relevance, and alignment with other initiatives where advantageous. This includes technical mapping and content production, being an ambassador for BREEAM’s strategic direction and feeding back intelligence to inform the evolution of the BREEAM portfolio.
How will I add value in this role?
- Technical lead for the Health and Wellbeing Core Technical Team and the division’s authority on health and wellbeing related issues, to ensure that the BREEAM portfolio of standards are technically credible and delivering the relevant strategic objectives.
- Manage the upkeep and evolution of the underpinning BREEAM science base, to ensure that the infrastructure and supporting processes align with business practices and needs, and that product development is scientifically led.
- Respond and input into BREEAM’s technical services, including technical queries and innovation credit applications, as well as scheme approvals, to assist in the delivery of SLAs and customer satisfaction.
- Support the technical review of third-party standards and initiatives, to inform technical development and growth and to foster partnerships.
- Be an ambassador and advocate for BREEAM’s technical services and strategic direction, to gather and feedback intelligence and to cultivate external conditions for success.
- Contribution to and delivery of ad hoc BREEAM related projects and publications, to support the promotion of BREEAM.
- Monitor and uphold health, safety and wellbeing both personally and for all team members and any external visitors accountable to this role.
- Ownership of personal professional development, ensuring that mandatory training and competency requirements are maintained in addition to other professional development needs as required by the role.
What do I need in order to deliver this role?
- Educated to a degree level in a degree providing an understanding of health and wellbeing in the built environment with a focus on indoor air quality (e.g. chemistry, environmental science, biological science)
- Experience and knowledge of the built environment
- Experience in a senior role with demonstrable ability to work proactively and independently
- Excellent communication skills; an ability to understand and interpret customers’ needs and deliver a service and/or product which exceeds customers’ expectations.
- Can build effective relationships both internally and externally, be a brand ambassador for BRE.
- IT literate and extensive knowledge of MS office etc.
Great to also have:
- Knowledge of BREEAM and/or the BRE business
This job description is a non-exhaustive summary of your role and is non-contractual. In addition to the above, you may be required to undertake additional duties in order to properly execute your role. This job description is subject to variation from time to time in order to meet the changing needs and requirements of our industry, as well as customer and business demands.
The experience requirements above are provided for guidance purposes, however we would welcome applications from candidates with more or less relevant experience who can demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.