Ornithologist – Consultant / Senior
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a pro-active and experienced ornithologist to join our ecology team. This position can be based from one of several offices around the UK to suit the successful applicant. Currently we are home-working and this is likely to continue.
- Works as a close-knit team with a strong focus on sharing expertise through internal training and professional development events.
- Our team undertakes a vast range of interesting projects for a wide range of clients covering the full range of ecological disciplines.
- We regularly undertake international ecology work including surveys in Africa and across Europe.
- RSK Wilding and Nature Positive are part of RSK Biocensus and as rapidly expanding new disciplines offer RSK Biocensus staff exciting new opportunities to work at the cutting edge of ecological consultancy
- Our highly supportive ecology team includes: NE Bat trainers, multiple bat class licence level 3 & 4 specialists, BSBI county-recorders, FISC level 5&6 botanists, university lecturers and directors / trustees of nature conservation charities.
- RSK Biocensus is a CIEEM Registered Practice and pays the membership fees for all eligible staff. This includes four Fellows and 15 Chartered staff. In addition, staff grades are linked to the CIEEM membership grades and training in line with this career progression is actively encouraged.
- Our Ecology team undertake a yearly Bioblitz and training day in addition to staff team building and training sessions.
To find out more about the Ecology team and projects follow us on Twitter @RSKBiocensus or take a look at our terrestrial and aquatic ecology web pages – biocensus.co.uk
Salary and benefits:
- Competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Family friendly, flexible working opportunities
- Choice of home-working linked to multiple office / team locations.
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays and private health care
- Regular structured training and career development
Consultant / Senior Ornithologist
As an ornithologist at RSK Biocensus you can expect to get involved with management and delivery of all elements of ornithological field surveys, assessment, tender and report writing and project management.
Some of the key responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinating and undertaking a broad range of BBS, winter bird surveys, species specific surveys, offshore surveys and vantage point surveys
- Designing and implementing mitigation strategies
- Financial management of projects
- Production of tenders and reports
- Project management, report writing and delivery
- Providing ornithological support on projects for the wider team
- Managing and mentoring junior members of the team
- At least three years relevant experience (5 years for senior grade) or proven, previous experience in a similar role
- Good team player, with the ability to work independently
- Enthusiasm, energy and drive to develop skills and deliver projects to the highest standard
- Excellent report writing skills, including survey reports, EcIAs, HRAs and tenders.
- Full driving licence
- Appropriate membership of CIEEM (dependent on grade, or to have eligibility if not currently held)
For more information please email Harriet Baker, Senior HR Business Partner at [email protected]
At RSK we operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation, adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all. The company prides itself on providing employees with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development and enabling them to reach their full potential. Listed as being in the top 3 environmental consultancies and listed in the Sunday Times PwC Top Track 250, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
Furthermore, retaining our employees is the building block of a successful organisation and we want to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working, social activities, and community involvement projects.
RSK is also committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer