Position: Oceans Programme Coordinator – West Africa
Based: This post can be based in EJF offices in UK (Bath / London), Germany (Hamburg) or Ghana (Cape Coast)
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary range: £40,000 – £45,000 (according to qualifications and experience)
- Private healthcare
- Generous pension rising with each completed year of service
- Generous personal leave entitlement increasing by 2 days annually
- Unique opportunities for career development within a high-impact international organization
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced person to join the Environmental Justice Foundation’s (EJF) Ocean Programme in West Africa, including two large country programmes in Ghana and Liberia. EJF works to protect marine biodiversity and habitats and promote sustainable, equitable and legal fisheries. You will be joining EJF’s growing international team that works to protect natural environments, wildlife and defend basic human rights. www.ejfoundation.org
The role offers an unusual level of career development for the right person looking to excel and make a strong impact in international conservation and human rights.
The position will:
Coordinate, guide and support the implementation of EJF’s projects to document, expose and eradicate illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing, improve community management of small-scale fisheries, and protect marine and coastal environments in West Africa, with a particular focus on Ghana and Liberia.
Require strong project and people management skills, including remote management.
Mentor, support and evaluate teams in West Africa, tracking and evaluating outcomes against agreed KPIs and identifying synergies and opportunities to share learnings.
Support internal and external reporting of programmatic impacts and track budget expenditures, ensuring the greatest possible efficiency.
Develop and oversee outreach within communities and the wider public (including through local, national and international media); working with the EJF comms team to initiate and develop appropriate communications outputs including events and materials.
Ensure that our advocacy with high-level decision-makers in the region is influential, appropriate and effective, working within EJF’s wider international team to share relevant information and outcomes.
Support the development and strengthening of EJF’s Fisheries Information Network in West Africa, which gathers, verifies and shares cases of illegal fishing with policymakers in the region and internationally.
Job specification and required skills and experience:
- Minimum of three years’ proven experience in project management and coordination of high-quality development and/or conservation projects that required management of teams and engagement with decision-makers.
- A strong and dynamic leader able to work under pressure and remotely manage, mentor and motivate colleagues and partners. You will understand how to provide remote support to teams that secure consistent results.
- Have superb oral and written communication skills able to deliver effective presentations to diverse high-level audiences, media and local partners and communities.
- Ability to be diplomatic and tactful under pressure. You have good cross-cultural awareness and a genuine interest in working with communities to protect marine ecosystems and the rights of people who depend on it.
- Experience preparing and monitoring project budgets and financial reporting, alongside the need for cost-efficient and transparent use of resources, and a meticulous eye for detail.
- Ability to act as a relationship manager capable of ensuring the long-term impact and durability of the programme.
- Share a genuine and demonstrable commitment to EJF, its mission and goals of protecting people, wildlife and our shared planet.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa strongly desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential. Other languages relevant to West Africa desirable.
Applications: please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 11th June 2021
Candidates must have the legal right to work in the UK, Germany or Ghana.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.