Location: Oxford offices / flexible working within the UK will be considered
Department: Programmes and Partnerships
Reports to: Senior Learning Manager
Direct reports: None
Salary: up to £36,000 gross, per annum (FTE)
Contract: 1 year fixed-term contract (with the possibility of extending this)
Hours: Full time (35 hours per week Mon- Fri) Part time and job share options will also be considered
Deadline for application: 6 June 2021
Interviews: To be held virtually 16/17 June
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK; Earthwatch is unable to support visa applications.
Earthwatch is recruiting for a Learning Manager – Sustainability to support the design and delivery of our experiential learning and engagement programmes for business. The successful candidate will use their expertise in business sustainability and experience in learning design and delivery for adult learners to develop content for our learning programmes and deliver inspiring learning sessions in-person (often in nature) and online
The successful candidate will work alongside the Earthwatch team to support business leaders to: explore the immediate and longer-term impacts and risks of the climate and ecological emergency; understand frameworks for change; connect with the natural world; explore values and beliefs for change; and become a catalyst for transformational change within their organisation. As well as working as part of our Corporate Learning Team, the successful candidate may also adapt programme content for teachers and community groups through collaboration with our Education Team.
The ideal candidate will combine passion for, and considerable knowledge of, key sustainability issues including climate change, urbanisation, biodiversity and ecosystem services, as well as the political, social and economic drivers of these issues and the business impacts. They will have an excellent understanding of frameworks for change, e.g. circular economy, sustainable finance, SDGs, Paris, IPEBS transformation change model. They will be able to bring these topics to life through in-person and online learning and engagement experiences and at key Earthwatch events. They will have the credibility to represent Earthwatch on these issues and be able to communicate complex information in pragmatic and engaging ways that ultimately empower people to take action and deliver change.
This role will involve delivering learning sessions online as well as at residential field-based locations, so the ability to travel nationally and occasionally internationally is required as and when travel is permitted. You will have a love for nature and the outdoors, and a passion for engaging others in the subject and inspiring new ways of thinking.
Earthwatch is an environmental charity with science at its heart. We drive the change needed to live within our means and in balance with nature. We do this by:
- connecting people with the natural world
- monitoring the health of our natural resources
- informing the actions that will have the greatest positive impact
Apply environmental and sustainability expertise to design and deliver experiential learning and leadership programmes which lead to behaviour change at both individual and organisational levels. Support the development of Earthwatch’s approach on how we effectively communicate critical sustainability issues to a diverse audience.
Design engaging activities and content on key environmental issues and the impact on/of business and communities:
- Distil scientific, policy and economic information into accessible formats
- Utilise a variety of delivery learning approaches to promote learning and engagement
- Keep up to date with key developments in business sustainability and oversee continuous improvement of learning content for our programmes and the wider organisation
- Adapt sessions for different audiences and programmes
Deliver engaging and inspiring sustainability related learning content:
- Deliver presentations, workshops and activities (online, in person) on a broad range of sustainability themes, facilitating debate and responding to sometimes challenging questions.
- Deliver outdoor experiential learning activities, in the UK and overseas, to promote understanding of sustainability principles and environmental sensitivity
- Actively promote safety best practice and support logistics and team management during programmes
- Co-facilitate, when required, with other members of the Earthwatch Learning Team and our network of Associates
- Occasionally train, support and coach others to deliver learning activities, including colleagues in other regions