We are APEM, a leading global environmental consultancy, specialising in terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecology, and aerial surveys.
APEM’s clients benefit from an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats, based on sound science and our collective experience. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in finding and providing solutions to our clients. Quality, innovation, and expert technical ability are often cited as the key reasons why clients return time after time for all their environmental consultancy needs.
People are the heart of APEM and form one of the building blocks of our strategic plan, for us, employing and retaining the best technical staff and consultants is paramount to our success.
We are proud to be an inclusive company and stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Our continued growth, from a small aquatic consultancy 35 years ago, to a leading global environmental consultancy hasn’t been dampened by the pandemic in 2020, and we have continued to grow and expand with further ambitious plans for 2021 and beyond.
About the role
Due to the growing workload within the remote sensing team and in hydrographic surveys in particular, the team are looking for additional resource. Primarily, the role will involve a mix of field and office based duties with a focus on our hydrographic work flow. This will include:
- Operation of remote / autonomous operated water vehicle
- Traditional boat based surveys
- Processing of hydrographic data
- Opportunities for Project management
The successful applicant will report into the Hydrographic Principal and will be expected to take on the management and technical duties for many of the hydrographic based projects run out of the remote sensing team.
In addition to the hydrographic projects there will also be opportunity to be involved in the following work:
- Field ground control collection
- Aerial image processing
- GIS analysis
- Remote sensing marketing activity
You will ideally have a background in environmental science and specifically a working knowledge of conducting hydrographic survey. You will be technically minded and competent to work through technical issues with both survey hardware and software as well as being able to manage projects from start to finish. Ideally you will be competent in the following:
- Leading or working as part of a survey team for hydrographic survey
- Experience of working on reservoirs (including water supply reservoirs) and other waterbodies
- Experience of using hydrographic software
- Experience with survey grade GPS (base and rover and network rover applications) and total station
- Managing projects
- Writing tenders/quotes for clients
- Report writing
Competency in the following would also be desirable:
- Experience of using Surfer software
- Processing of hydrographic data to produce:Bathymetric datasets in 2D contour and 3D surface modelsProcessing of ADCP data
- Marketing APEM services to existing and potential new clients
- CSCS card