About The Role
With a Nursery operation as pacey and complex as ours, it’s key we have a strong Production/Growing team who are on the ball and are able to keep up to the demands of the site.
As a Department Manager at our Lowlands Nursery in Spalding you will lead and manage the Nursery team through the Team Managers, to deliver against a continued improvement of financial performance, safe, efficient growing of high quality plants and shrubs in line with the growing plan and ensuring customer service is paramount both quantitatively and qualitatively.
Reporting into the Production Manager you will also be responsible for:
- Maintaining a balanced scorecard against KPIs to drive further growth across the site
- Ensuring the Health & Safety of all colleagues whilst maintaining and making improvements in all areas
- Responsible for managing, coaching and developing your teams with a view of internal talent development
- Building great relationships and working collaboratively with all areas of the site
- Involved with recruitment and development of the team
- Planning for all crops to deliver just in time through accurate stock management, records to and driving site based efficiencies based on data
- Effective management and planning for all site raw materials including pesticides and fertilisers to ensure availability as and when needed
- Ability to plan crops to maximise growing to ensure we get our plants to our customers in time
- Maximising profits and drive performance improvement
- Working with our current teams to drive the Continuous Improvement Strategy, through colleague involvement and engagement
- To meet audit requirements at all times by ensuring CCPs, food safety, health and safety, auditing, HACCP principles are being implemented across the department
About our Lowlands Nursery, Spalding.
At Lowlands, we grow 3 million plants every year – and during some peak weeks in the summer, we pack and send out as many as 150,000 plants a week. On site, you’ll also find innovative rainwater harvesting, 17,000 cubic metres of water storage, and hundreds of plant varieties ranging in size from 9cm pots to 7.5 litre pots. We might not be directly #FeedingTheNation here – but we are playing our part in keeping it green and fresh, while delighting our customers at the same time.
Why not take a look around one of our Manufacturing sites? Click here.
As well as the ability to work at pace, you will also need to have:
- Experience in a similar operational role within a Nursery environment, with proven success in profitability and production operations
- Knowledge and understanding of a horticulture and business
- A strong reputation for placing the customer at the heart of everything you do
- The ability to look for ways to improve customer satisfaction, profitability and productivity and drive performance improvement
- A proven track record of people management and development & delivering strong results through a team in a people management role
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills and a natural ability to build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Assertiveness with the ability to make decisions on the spot
- A can do attitude and a strong work ethic with strong influencing skills An understanding of cost models and experience of budgetary control and understanding pest control management
In return you’ll get competitive pay rates, up to 6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays) and many benefits including a discount card for you and 2 more for friends or family members giving you 10% off your shopping in Morrisons. We also offer company share options, Retirement Saver, Free Life Assurance and much more.
About The Company
From a Bradford market stall to the UK’s 4th largest supermarket chain and the UK’s 2nd largest fresh food manufacturer.
We are proud to be the Yorkshire food retailer serving customers across the UK with up to 500 stores and an online home delivery service. Our 18 manufacturing sites provide our customers with the freshest produce from flowers, fish and veg to burgers and bread, all delivered to our stores via our 6 distribution sites by our 2,000 strong fleet.
Every week, 11 million customers pass through our doors and over 110,000 colleagues across the business work hard each day to deliver great service to them. We cover more than 11 million households with our Morrisons.com service. With competitive, permanently low prices we are committed to helping our customers save money every day.
We are foodmakers and shopkeepers and #wemakemorrisons.
Why not hear about what our teams have got to say about life here at Morrisons: click here.