We protect orangutans, their forests and their future.
Over the last 20 years SOS, our incredible frontline partners and our global network of supporters have undoubtedly helped orangutans to survive in Sumatra. From planting over 2 million trees to restore lost forests, to saving the lives of more than 200 orangutans, and engaging upwards of 20,000 local people in conservation action, we’re hugely proud of the difference we’ve made for orangutans, forests and communities.
It’s a really exciting time to join our organisation. As we prepare to launch our new conservation strategy, and with an incredible track record of impactful programmes and partnerships to build on, our Fundraising Director will lead on securing the support we need to enable wild orangutans to thrive in safe forests.
We’re looking for someone really special, who is able to develop a transformational fundraising strategy that matches our conservation plans in scope and ambition, whilst rolling your sleeves up and delivering exceptional fundraising results.
SOS is a small organisation with a big mission. We’re striving to change the way that Sumatra’s forests and wildlife are valued, managed and protected. If that’s the sort of challenge that excites and energises you, we can’t wait to hear from you.
About the role
Job Title: Fundraising Director
Salary: circa £46k
Terms: Full Time or part-time (0.8 FTE) for the right candidate, permanent
Location: Flexible remote, with regular presence at our office in Abingdon, near Oxford, UK.
Job Purpose: To lead, develop and deliver a strategic fundraising programme to secure the resources we need to protect orangutans and their forest home.
Main responsibilities include:
- Strategic fundraising leadership to develop and deliver an ambitious plan for transformational growth;
- Build and manage multiple fundraising income streams, with a focus on growing our Major Gifts fundraising from donors and philanthropic foundations;
- Personally managing and developing our pool of major donors and prospects, and asking for gifts;
- Drive fundraising innovation and excellence;
- Nurture and grow an international network of supporters;
- Lead, support and motivate our team to achieve outstanding results.
This exciting position demands vision, creativity, a passion for our cause, and brilliant relationship building skills. Joining an optimistic, open and supportive culture, you will have the freedom to innovate and explore exciting new ways to advance our mission.
You’ll be joining an incredible team, and we’ll do everything we can to help you succeed. This position also offers some unique rewards – this is a real chance to play a vital role in the protection of an iconic species, as well as enabling a charity to achieve transformational growth.
The skills and qualities we’re looking for include:
- Experienced in creating a transformational income and engagement strategy, as well as developing clear plans to deliver it.
- Substantial experience and a strong track record of success in securing major gifts, as well as direct experience of at least one other income stream, ideally corporate partnerships, appeals, or trusts and grants.
- Equally comfortable crafting compelling funding bids and cases for support for donors, as reviewing fundraising data to gather insights and support decision-making to grow income.
- An exceptional and proactive communicator, able to craft compelling messages which inspire our supporters (and potential supporters).
- A particular flair for building relationships, networking and influencing.
- An ability to thrive in a small team, as well as lead, manage, motivate and develop individuals to deliver outstanding results.
- A supportive and flexible team player, with a positive and optimistic attitude.
- Passion and commitment to SOS’s mission and work.
How to Apply:
Please click below to download the Fundraising Director candidate pack for further details about the role, who we’re looking for and application instructions.
Closing Date: 10am on Monday 7th June 2021
If you wish to speak to someone in more detail about this role, please contact Helen Buckland, Director:
- [email protected]
- 01235 530825
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
SOS is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Our equal opportunities policy will be made available upon request.