Galloway Fisheries Trust is looking to recruit a new Fisheries Biologist to join our team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to take a lead role in many of the GFT research, monitoring and restoration programmes. This is a full time permanent post.
Galloway Fisheries Trust is a conservation charity working to restore and maintain aquatic biodiversity, particularly native fish, in Galloway by means of practical, responsible and sustainable approaches to land, water and fishery management, based on sound science, for the benefit of the community as a whole. We recognise the urgent need to increase the resilience of freshwater environments to cope with future climate change impacts.
The successful applicant will be involved in delivering a range of research, conservation, monitoring and community engagement projects. Key areas of responsibility include:
- Undertaking a range of surveys including fish populations and habitats
- Completing research projects
- Analysing data and producing reports on findings
- Providing consultation responses to forestry and renewable energy schemes
- Organising and delivering various restoration activities
- Assisting in the delivery of climate change mitigation initiatives
- Encouraging partnership working to deliver GFT objectives
- Providing expert advice to key stakeholders
- Assist in promoting the work of the GFT through social media and presentations
The candidate must be fit, motivated, hardworking and willing to work outdoors during all weather conditions. You will work closely within our overall team and a training programme will be provided where required. The position will be based at Newton Stewart (Dumfries and Galloway). A full valid driving licence is essential.
We are looking for candidates to have:
- Relevant degree (e.g. biological or environmental science)
- Demonstrate practical research skills
- Experienced at field working and report writing
- A good understanding of freshwater ecology
- Preferably have at least two years’ relevant work experience
Salary will be based on experience and qualifications. GFT provides 6% Employers Pension Contribution.
Closing date for applications is 5:00pm on 21st May 2021.
Face to face interviews are intended to be held on the 9th June 2021.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter addressed to Jamie Ribbens at [email protected] or Fisheries House, Station Industrial Estate, Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire, DG8 6ND