£17,600 per annum (FTE £22,000)
Permanent, annualised part-time hours
Operational area: Thames Valley
Location: Iver Environment Centre (IEC), Slough Road, Iver Heath SL0 0EB
Groundwork South is committed to transforming people’s lives and places through social, economic and environmental action. In terms of development and delivery of these projects we work across three business themes, Parks & Open Spaces, Youth & Employment and Greener Living & Working.
IEC Education Officer
Come and join our successful team at Iver Environment Centre. IEC is located within a stunning 2.5-acre rural site between Slough and Uxbridge. We connect people to nature through school visits from predominantly primary aged children (4-11 years) along with family fun days, drop off holiday activities for children and activities for community groups. Our education sessions include engaging activities such as pond and river dipping, gardening, butter making, fire lighting, den building and nature crafts.
We are looking for a dynamic Education Officer who can run an exciting and engaging education programme on a permanent annualised hours basis.
The successful Education Officer should have at least two years’ experience delivering environmental education, outstanding knowledge of pedagogy and the national curriculum as well as a track record of excellence. You should be a good communicator with excellent organisational and time management skills.
Education Officer Key Tasks
- Deliver interactive environmental education sessions with energy.
- Oversee the resources needed for education sessions; caring for them, ensuring they are ready for sessions and working with the Centre Manager to replace where necessary.
- Ensure the education programme is appropriately planned and resourced (including use of zero hours staff) working within a budget given by the Centre Manager.
- Help support colleagues when teaching together – ensuring appropriate timings and use of space.
- Obtain feedback from visiting schools and use this to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the education programme. Collect information to aid reporting.
- Manage school bookings and other admin tasks related to the education programme.
- Engage in the development of new sessions and resources.
- Manage the weekend programme of children’s parties.
- Promote the education programme to schools and families through mail outs, newsletters and social media.
- Supporting centre volunteers
You must be prepared to work outdoors in all weathers. Your normal hours of work are 37.5 hours each week (April to September) and 22.5 hours each week (October to March).
In return we offer:
- Full training in the sessions you will be expected to deliver
- First aid training
- Safeguarding training.
This post will be subject to an Enhanced Check with Lists from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Groundwork South’s Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults Policy supports staff in putting into practice our commitment to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people under the age of 18.
For more information regarding the post please contact Katy Barton on 01895 270730 or email at [email protected]
CVs will not be accepted. No agencies please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that we reserve the right to close applications early in the event of a large response. Application forms should be returned to Laura Dyke, Business Support Administrator at [email protected] or post to Riverside Community Centre, Dickens Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 2JY.
Closing date: 21st May 2021 – 12 noon
Interview date: 26th May 2021
We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people. To demonstrate our commitment, we have been awarded the Disability Symbol, which is awarded by the Employment Service. We guarantee an interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the essential criteria for the post. If you consider yourself to have a disability and would like to apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme please complete the Guaranteed Interview Scheme form (at the top of our current vacancies page) and submit this with your application.
We shall ensure fairness and equal opportunities throughout our workforce and in service delivery. We welcome applications from suitably skilled candidates regardless of ethnicity, gender, disability. sexuality, religion or age.