Power Up North London is an exciting social enterprise that delivers community energy projects in North London. Our work enables local people to tackle climate change by delivering renewable energy solutions for community buildings. Our projects reduce carbon emissions and running costs for site owners while supporting the local economy and giving local people a stake in their environment. Our vision is to contribute to North London boroughs becoming net zero carbon by 2030 underpinned by a resilient, independent and collaborative community of residents harnessing clean energy.
By January 2021, PUNL installed 313 kWp of solar PV, avoiding 72t of carbon annually. In total we have raised £140,000 from community share offers and £238,500 from grants. We have achieved all this through the efforts of a small group of committed volunteers. We are proud of our achievements but there is a lot to be done to tackle the climate emergency.
PUNL’s Business Development Project will aim to grow the organisation by scaling-up solar PV and developing new renewable heat projects, while extending and deepening our engagement with partner organisations. Working in partnership with key local organisations, such as, housing associations, groups of GP practices, schools, other community energy groups they will be required to:
- Develop and implement projects to install an additional 200kWp of PUNL-owned solar
- Develop a new renewable heat project and take it through the feasibility stage
- Mobilise funding to support the delivery of the above projects.
We are looking for a Business Development Manager to lead the development and delivery of this work, working closely with our Directors and volunteer community. They will join the community energy sector at a hugely exciting time as the need to tackle the climate emergency as part of ‘building back better’ becomes an ever-higher priority.
- Identify suitable sites and agree partnerships with site owners to install ~200 kWp PV owned by PUNL;
- Identify a suitable site for installation of a renewable heat solution and take it through feasibility to installation;
- Work with PUNL Directors to negotiate and agree terms with site owners;
- Engage PUNL’s wider volunteer network in programme delivery as appropriate. Identify and apply for funding to support delivery of projects, submitting grant applications for at least £30,000 for feasibility studies, and raising a further £200,000 of capital (through grants, share offers and other mechanisms).
- Business development and fundraising in a social enterprise/commercial business ideally in the renewable energy sector;
- Project management;
- Partnership development, including a strong understanding of the legal and technical requirements of community/renewable energy.
- Self-starter, motivated, driven and focused with a track record of delivery;
- Passionate and committed to tackling the climate emergency;
- Confident and excited about working with, and engaging, a network of volunteers to support delivery and engaging and mobilising a diverse community to address the climate emergency;
- Aligned with PUNL’s values and mission, sharing our belief in the power of collective action to tackle the impacts of climate change and to build resilient communities.
Terms and conditions:
- 50-70 day contract at £175-250/day (depending on experience) to a maximum total of £12,500
- Project operates over 6-8 months, with the potential for an extension subject to performance.
- Flexible working hours – home-based role
The work will be done largely from home and would involve some visits to sites in north London, as well as attending PUNL board meetings (held quarterly) and monthly open meetings. Reasonable expenses would be payable, to be agreed with the Director overseeing the project.
Please apply by 28th May via email to [email protected] including:
- A one page cover letter setting out your suitability for the role; and
- An up-to-date CV, including details of at least two professional referees.
Interviews will be arranged, probably by video conference in late May, dates to be confirmed. The post would start as soon as possible thereafter.